Cobourg Highland Games proceeds with plans for 2014 at Cobourg's Victoria Park and seeks volunteers
The Cobourg Highland Games Society is preparing for its 51st year.
The Society is made up of local volunteers with a variety of interests, backgrounds and talents. It is seeking volunteers for the Cobourg Highland Games Committee to fill some key roles for the coming year in order to help ensure this event carries on and secure its success.
Some of the positions which volunteers are being sought for are Secretary, Fundraising Chair, Communication Coordinator, Sponsorships Coordinator, Advertising Coordinator, Entertainment Coordinator, Parking Coordinator and Services Coordinator.
- The Secretary is responsible for recording, distributing and maintaining copies of meeting minutes, records and correspondence on behalf of the Committee.
- The Fundraising Chair helps coordinate events, fundraising activities and donations through other members of the committee and with the public.
- The Communications Coordinator is responsible for press releases, social media, ensures events are posted in appropriate places both in print and online, maintains the website and serves as the liaison with the media on behalf of the Committee and the Society.
- The Sponsorships Coordinator identifies potential sponsors, both large and small and solicits and secures sponsorships for events as well as the Cobourg Highland Games itself.
- The Advertising Coordinator works with the Communications and Sponsorships Coordinators to ensure coordination of materials and maximize sponsorships. The coordinator ensures ads are prepared on time, provides information for the program and coordinates signs and other promotional materials.
- The Entertainment Coordinator coordinates all entetainment on behalf of the committee both for the day of the Cobourg Highland Games and other events.
- The Parking Coordinator recruits and instructs volunteers to organize parking and collect fees or donations. The coordinator also sets up the parking area(s).
- The Services Coordinator plays a supporting role and coordinates and supports security, sound systems, tents, services and infrastructure and recruits and provides volunteers as necessary.
Previous experience helping with other events and organizations in the community is an asset however enthusiasm and dedication are the most important qualities.
A one day workshop is planned for October 5th to lay the groundwork for the 2014 Cobourg Highland Games as well as some other events and work throughout the year.
To volunteer for one of the above positions or to volunteer to help in any way, please contact Ed Carmen, President of the Cobourg Highland Games at email@example.com or 905-372-8237.
Days Before and After the Festival
- Site Set Up and Site Take Down - Physical work; set up and take down the Festival site.
- Site Maintenance - Distribute garbage cans and bags, and recycling bins throughout the site before the Festival and after the Festival, collect and hose out cans and bins and return to storage. Access to a truck would be an asset.
- Cabana Set Up and Take Down - Assist in the set up and take sown of cabanas. Must be patient, diligent and like a challenge.
- Parking Set Up and Take Down - Set up and take down.
- Signs - Both on and off site - Erect and take down signs. Access to a truck or van an asset.
- Decorating - Decorate a variety of venues at the Festival. Must be creative and coordinated.
During the Festival
- Survey Committee - Assist in surveying various areas of the Festival. Surveys are conducted by questionnaires. Must be outgoing, well organized and able to work independently.
- Tea Garden Server and Food Preparation - Prepare and serve tea and scones at the Tea Garden. Must be able to stand and have good customer service skills and enjoy people.
- Parking Attendants - Guide patrons to available parking spots.
- Children's Activity Area - Assist the children in playing games and to complete crafts.
- Ice, Water and Programme Distribution - Valid driver's license needed. Must be physically fit. Drive and deliver ice, water and programmes throughout the Festival weekend.
- Site Management - Maintain equipment during the Festival, look after any mechanical problems. Would be a good position for someone who enjoys physical labour and being "out and about".
- Sponsor Relations Support - Work with the Festival's Sponsor Manager to put up signage recognizing sponsors and to help sponsors set up booths and displays. Strong communication skills and maturity and decorum are needed for this position.
Customer Service and Office Administration Before and During the Festival
- General Office Help - Office work on an as needed project basis. Promote Via Rail ticket draw. Shifts available April through August. Must be organized and thorough.
- Main Information Greeter - Provide comprehensive Festival information to visitors. Strong communication skills, ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Brochure Distribution - Distribute bundles of brochures for local businesses in May and June. Must be organized and have good communication skills. Access to a vehicle is an asset.
- Poster Distribution - Distribute posters to Cobourg, Port Hope, Peterborough and other regional communities during May and June. Must be organized and have good communication skills. Must have access to a vehicle.
Thank you for considering volunteering for the Games. Please call Carol at 905-372-8237 to discuss volunteer options or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your help in organizing the Games would be very welcome.