Cobourg Highland Games Seeks Volunteers
The Cobourg Highland Games Society is preparing for its 56th Annual Highland Games. The Society's mandate is to promote, encourage and support the cultivation and preservation of Scots culture through related community events and to ensure that neither borders, nor seas, nor time itself denies us of our proud Highland Heritage.
The Society is made up of local volunteers with a variety of interests, backgrounds and talents. It is seeking volunteers for the Cobourg Highland Games Society to fill some key roles for the coming years in order to help ensure this event carries on and secure its success.
Previous experience helping with other events and organizations in the community is an asset however enthusiasm and dedication are the most important qualities.
If you would like to volunteer for one of the following positions, please contact the Cobourg Highland Games at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-352-2445
Assists the Concessions Director to:
- Explore for new and exciting Celtic Merchandise & Food vendors.
- Update forms to be amended online by webmaster.
- Register and ensure vendors comply with municipal by-laws.
- Ensure Food Vendors have complied with the Health Unit requirements.
- Place Vendors at Games to ensure they can have a profitable day.
Some business/retail knowledge would be useful.
Use of a computer and printer is necessary and knowledge of spreadsheet use would be beneficial.
Requires considerable walking around the park.
- Attend all meetings and record all minutes.
- Assist the Secretary/Treasurer with correspondence.
- Assist the Secretary/Treasurer with the office functions during the Games.
Knowledge of Highland Games and proceedings for Not-for-Profit Corporations would be beneficial, but not required.
Use of a computer and printer is necessary.
- Coordinates fundraising activities
- Coordinates and updates emails for Donations for Friends of the Games with existing email database.
- Looks for and Assists with Grant applications
Enthusiasm and knowledge of new Fundraising ideas are encouraged
- Identifies potential sponsors, both large & small.
- Solicits & secures sponsorships for events as well as the Cobourg Highland Games.
- Stays in contact with the Sponsors to ensure they are aware of what is happening at the Highland Games.
- Meets potential Sponsors and delivers Sponsorship applications.
- Coordinates picking up the Sponsor Banners and ordering Sponsor signs to be prominently displayed at the Highland Games and are then returned to the Sponsors after the Games.
- Recognize and Thank the Sponsors after the Games.
Good Networking skills required with local and regional businesses.
Highland Games Program
- Works with the editorial staff of the printing firm to ensure all Highland Games material is submitted, and drafts are proofed to ensure a good quality program is presented to the public.
- Responsible for searching for new material for the program.
- Ensures all Sponsor advertisements are submitted on time.
- Picks up completed Programs and delivers some to local hotels and tourist locations.
- Brings remaining Programs to the Games on Friday & Saturday to be distributed.
Ability to meet deadlines and organize a printed program would be beneficial
Advertising & Promotions
- Responsible to work within the Games Advertising Budget to reach the people interested in coming to the Cobourg Highland Games.
- Knowledge of Print, Radio and Online media methods would be beneficial.
- Requires an ability to get the best advertising that would benefit the Games.
- Works with local radio stations to get interview opportunities to promote the Games.
- Recruits and Schedules volunteers for various jobs for the Highland Games
- Recruits volunteers for other fundraising events, like the Robert Burns Dinner and Raffle tickets sales days.
Grounds & Equipment Manager
- Coordinates and supports security, sound systems, electrical needs, tents, toilets and other rental services and infrastructure as needed.
- Will need to become familiar with where and when the equipment is needed from each of the committee members responsible and then coordinate the timing for their installation.
- Responsible for requesting quotes for equipment to ensure we are getting a good price.
Requires considerable walking around the park.
Gates & Parking Manager
- Ensures the volunteers at the Gates and parking areas are informed of the necessary information the public will want to know entering the grounds.
- Responsible for making sure the volunteers have enough water and breaks and cash for change.
- Will be able to answer any questions that the volunteers may have or will then find another committee member to get the answer.
- Allocates parking spots for vendors, clans and committee members.
- Ensure gates people know emergency procedures.
Will require considerable walking around the park to each of the gates.
Wee Highlanders Area Coordinator
- Experience with Children’s activities would be beneficial
- Responsible for running the Children’s area and contacting the various people to help teach the kids how to Highland Dance, Sword fight, perform Heavy Events etc., to become a Highlander.
- Responsible to put together a program Kids will enjoy
Cobourg Highland Games Volunteer Positions
1-3 Months prior to Highland Games
- Distribute Posters, Rack Cards around Northumberland County and beyond - Peterborough, Lindsay, Oshawa, Brighton, Campbellford, Cobourg and Port Hope
- Personal vehicle necessary
Days Before, During and After the Festival
- NEED: 2 Volunteers to work with the Concessions Director
- Thursday 10am - 12pm: to help measure out and place spots for vendors
- Friday 10am - 4pm: help Vendors to their spots
- Saturday 6am - 10am: Help Vendors to their spots, make sure everyone is set-up
- Able to work with people, familiarity with hydro needs a benefit
Setup & Tear down
- NEED: 8 Volunteers
- Friday 9am - 1pm: Assemble Stages heavy lifting required, Personal Cordless Power Drill necessary, Set up refreshment tent
- Friday 9am - 11am: Put out Directional Signage around Cobourg - need personal vehicle
- Saturday 6am - 9am: Install Flags on Bleachers, Put up Sponsor Banners, Deliver Tables & Chairs to Dance Area, Heavy Events, Set up Gazebos, Rope off Dancer Gazebo Area
- Saturday 6pm - 8pm: Disassemble stages and put back in trailer, Take down Flags & Sponsor Banners, Pick up tables & Chairs and place in storage, Pick up Litter
- Sunday 9am - 4pm: Complete clean up of park.
- 1-2 Volunteers
- Capture the Games in pictures. Own camera required.
- Friday 6pm - 10pm
- Saturday 8am - 10pm
Thank you for considering volunteering for the Games. Please email: email@example.com. Your help in organizing the Games would be very welcome.